If you’ve been thinking about updating the look of your home without the expense of a contractor, there are plenty of home improvement projects you can do yourself. With a little more time and effort, you can work on various home renovations to improve the appearance of your home without spending too much money.
Decide what improvements you want to make and set a goal for yourself. This will help you complete each task with success until everything is finally completed. Note that some projects may be more time consuming than others, so you may need to plan ahead.
These 10 home improvement project ideas can help you take the first step in remodeling the interior and exterior of your home. If you’re looking to change an outdated look, add more modern details, or create a more organized space in your home, it’s time to start with some do-it-yourself DIY projects.
To improve the look of your home while staying budget-friendly, embrace these projects and start renovating your home today.
Beautify your entrance
To make a good first impression, you need an inviting, organized and appealing entrance area in your home. This is the first room in your home that guests see, which makes keeping your entryway attractive, organized, and tidy valuable.
DIY ideas for your entrance area:
- Build a board and slatted hook wall perfect for organizing your family’s coats and shoes to keep your entryway neatly organized.
- Repaint wooden boxes, stack them like a shelf, and create a space to store shoes, wallets, or purses
- If you have space, add a bench in your entryway with a few throw pillows to make your home feel more inviting
- Hang a floating shelf in your entryway so you can display the decor and hang coats underneath
- Hang mirrors, prints, or artwork to compliment this space
Free floor image on Unsplash
One simple home improvement project that you can do yourself is to repaint various rooms in your home. You can completely update or make small adjustments to the color palette currently in your home by adding an accent wall or painted ceiling.
If your entire home needs renovation, take this opportunity to repaint your home with a whole new color palette. This is the first step in completing any project. However, if you’re happy with the color scheme you’ve developed, consider adding a pop of color with an accent wall or painted ceiling to upgrade your living room or bedroom.
Install an electric fireplace
To easily bring a cozy, inviting feeling to your home, install one electric fireplace insert. Since no contractor is required and a simple installation process is required, you can do this project yourself. Not only is this a simple addition to bring into any room, but an electric fireplace is an investment that will be well worth it.
Why choose an electric fireplace?
- Enjoy the ambience of crackling wood and warmth by the fire without the hassle of a traditional fireplace
- They won’t get hot which makes this a safe option for the whole family
- Keep energy costs down with this environmentally friendly option
- They’re a healthier alternative, with no gas emissions or harmful fumes to keep you and your family safe
- They are low-maintenance with minimal maintenance
Increase storage space
If you want to bring more organization into your home, take on a home improvement project around Increase your storage space. Get creative and innovative with ideas to implement storage space in clever places.
DIY storage ideas:
- For the kitchen, use blank walls and install open shelving. This gives you a functional place to organize spices, glasses or frequently used cookware
- Add a bookcase or cube-shaped storage unit to your closet to organize folded items or shoes.
- In the living room, if there is an open space, add a modular shelf. This can be perfect for showcasing your book collection, showcasing decor, or hiding clutter with trash cans
Free stock photo of pexels.com
Make your flooring new
If you want to give your home a complete makeover, it may be time to swap out old carpets for hardwood. This can make your home look modern and elegant, with the classic look of hardwood floors.
Wooden floors are durable, easy to care for and immediately enhance the overall appearance of your home. Wood goes with anything and gives you the freedom to keep your current style or change things up.
You can opt for a laminate or a peel-and-stick option to save time and money. Both options involve a simple process, which makes this an easy project for you to do yourself.
Update your stairs
If you’ve been looking for ways to update the look of the stairs in your home, there are plenty of DIY ideas to inspire you. Many homeowners overlook their stairs, but often they are the focal point of their home, so their maintenance is important too.
If the stairs are made of wood, you can spend time refinishing the wood, but if you want to change something, consider repainting the stairs for a refresher throughout your home. You can redesign the color of the railing, steps, or risers and change their appearance to look brand new.
Free kitchen picture on Unsplash
To update the look of your kitchen or bathroom, add a DIY back wall to these two rooms in order to make these rooms more aesthetic and appealing to the eye. A backsplash can easily become the focal point of any room, adding intricate details and shapes to your kitchen or bathroom.
DIY backsplash options:
- Peel and stick tiles for easy attachment, also available in different designs
- Use vinyl for an affordable and easy option to bring your kitchen to life
- Break the tiles into pieces and randomly glue them to the wall to create a mosaic for an eclectic look
- Use a beadboard, this option is budget friendly with quick installation
Build a shiplap wall
If you don’t have to repaint or a bright accent wall isn’t your style, you can build a ship wall in your home for an easy accent. You can easily incorporate this addition into your kitchen, living room or bedroom area to bring in a simple detail that will be interesting in any room.
You can use natural wood or paint the wall a neutral shade, depending on the color scheme in your home. Use your creativity to create this home improvement idea yourself and add a unique touch to your room.
Renovating kitchen cabinets
To improve the appearance of your kitchen, you can easily remodel the cabinets to make them look like new.
If you like the look of wood, you can refinish your cabinets and give them the freshening up they need. If you want to change something, you can always repaint your cabinets and change the whole look of your kitchen space. You can paint them white, a neutral shade, or something light like turquoise or yellow. It’s up to you, your style and the aesthetic that you want to create throughout your home.
Add curb curb objection
Once you’ve done home improvement projects throughout the interior of your home, you can focus on polishing up the exterior.
By adding curb appeal in front of your house, not only will it look more welcoming, but guests will make a great first impression before they even enter. This change will add value to your home and make it look inviting from the outside. There are many ways to change the look of your front yard and make it look beautiful enough to match the interior of your home.
DIY curb appeal ideas:
- Repaint your front door, add a pop of color with a bright yellow or blue
- Renew the landscaping and bring in flowers and plants to add natural beauty to your front yard with ease
- Add potted plants on either side of your front door and accent that space
- Use flower boxes to continue adding the natural beauty of flowers to your home
- Bring new seating on your porch, such as a bench, swing, or chair set, to make this area feel cozy and inviting
Use these 10 home improvement ideas to transform your home
Free furniture picture on Unsplash
If you want to update the look of your home and bring in a new style, these do-it-yourself home improvement projects can help.
There is a lot you can do yourself around your home without the cost or hassle of a contractor. You can repaint, add a backsplash, replace old flooring, install an electric fireplace, or redesign your landscaping. It all depends on what improvements need to be made to give your home a much-needed refresh.
With a little time and effort, you can start changing the look of your home as you get these projects done. Patience is key and it is important to take the time to ensure that the results of your home improvement work are successful.