Updating and renovating your home can be an exciting task. There are so many ways you can turn a room into your own design. Updating lighting fixtures can have a huge impact on the appearance of an interior. Arch Daily mentions that light intensity and color can have a profound effect on your mental state. For this reason, choosing the right lighting fixture is critical. The first step in updating your lighting fixtures is figuring out the type of lighting fixtures you want to install in your living space.
Types of lighting
If you go to a hardware store or home accessories store, chances are you will be overwhelmed by the choices. There are lighting fixtures that address different interior design paradigms. Choosing the right light fixture depends on how it fits into your existing room decor. Among the options you will encounter are:
- Recessed lights: These are also known as canister lights or downlights and offer excellent accent lighting options for any living space. The combination of placement and direction can create unique aesthetic representations.
- Pendant light: These lights are small point lights that come in a variety of shapes and designs. You can even change the hues for a little variety, add colors, or mute the light falloff levels. They’re also a great way to add interest to a design space. If you have a bar area near your kitchen, these make for great highlights.
- Track lighting: When you install pendant lights on a track or beam, usually in a pattern or row, you get track lighting. If you already have track lighting and need to update it, you have several options, just like with pendant lights.
- Chandelier lighting: Most people with chandeliers get used to them after a while. Refurbishing a chandelier can be as easy as repainting it. However, you can change the entire design of the light fixture by replacing the outdated lighting with something more modern and chic.
Ways to update your lights
A lamp should complement the interior of a room. The choice of lights is crucial for the design of a room. The decor usually takes into account your lighting for highlights or accents. Different types of lights perform different functions for your interior. Therefore, as your decor evolves, your lights will have to follow suit. If your lights are dull and monotonous and seem to fade into the background (or stand out in the worst possible way), it’s time for an update. Homeowners can look into several ways to upgrade their existing lighting fixtures.
- Colour: The easiest way to deal with an update is to repaint your lighting fixtures. This method is usually used on metal fasteners such as chandeliers, but can also be used with other metal fasteners. Repainting a metal fixture is a simple do-it-yourself job. All you need is a color that suits your needs and a steady hand to apply it to your light fixture. Ideally, you would also use newspapers to rotate around the location so you don’t accidentally get spray paint on your walls.
- New colors: Shade can make a huge difference to your lighting. While you could simply remove the shades from a lamp, the interior looks bare and unrefined. Consider shades with color schemes that suit the room. If you want a lamp to have only a small effective area, use a strong screen to increase the attenuation.
- Conversion kits: Many home installations can be modified with a conversion kit. They take a certain type of luminaire and exchange it for another. You keep the wiring and everything else but add a lot to the design. Find out what type of lights you have in your home and learn what conversion kits will work with them.
- Wireless devices: What if you had to cut the wires completely instead of running wires and going through the tedious reinstallations? Changing a lamp is just a question of replacing the old lamp and placing a new lamp on the plate. You need a professional electrician However, to do the initial setup for you, you should be able to turn off your lights at will. This approach greatly simplifies future updates.
Updating your lighting doesn’t have to be difficult
Your lights form a central part of your interior design. You can improve the ambience in a room. From strong white light to soft, colored tones, each evokes different feelings in a person and each has its uses. Whenever you update your wiring for your equipment, you will likely need a professional electrician to take a look. When you change your lighting, the entire look of your home can change. It will certainly take some time, but it’s worth waiting for the results.
Bobby Lynn owns LiveWire Electrical, a fully licensed and insured residential and commercial utility company serving Charlotte, NC and the surrounding area. Bobby has been in the electrical industry for over 20 years and has extensive knowledge of all areas of electrical engineering. Learn more about LiveWire’s dedicated lighting installation services Here.